Saturday, February 9, 2008

Creamy wool and silk

The socks for Februari are done! Like last month's socks for the KAL Sockklubben these where made two at the same time on Magic Loop. I'm hooked! They where quite similar in design, a nice basic model with a lace pattern, but the look is more robust this time. The heel also has an added reinforcement with lifted and twisted stitches (like my grandmother did on a pair of socks for me in the same colour once...). I followed the pattern, but added eight
stitches to make them in large. The yarn is Opal uni in cream/beige.















And here is the finished result, modelled by my mother. Now I hope the next pattern will be something new, maybe with more room for colours or for kids/men...















While on the subject of presents for my mother, here is another story. While I was learning to knit in my teens many of my sweaters were too large for me and ended up on her. I thought I had moved past this, but this Christmas I did it again. This sweater is the finished Irish Moss by Nancy Bush that I wrote about during the fall. The knitting went fast and easy and I thought I had gotten the size right for my sister-in-law, who is a medium. Then I tried to block it according to the rulebook, but that was a huge mistake. The yarn, Silke Tweed from Garnstudio, wasn't supposed to be soaked and it greeeeew. After sewing the last seems I tried it on and it was about two sizes too big for me. Another unexpected gift for my mother. The sister-in-law is getting well compensated with a top from the book Poetry in Stitches. So far I have made one front side, but I will start over again after writing this because I knitted it too tight...

No comments: