Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Girlie stuff

This is a picture of my sister-in-laws top before frogging. As I wrote the other day I had to start over on larger needles, which I have, but it will take a few days work to get it this big again. It is from the wonderful book Poetry in Stitches by Solveig Hisdal and it is a modern copy of an old piece of underwear. It is knit sideways and the buttonholes are at the bottom of the picture. The yarn is the original from the book, 100% cotton from Hifa. It looks like natural linen and has a great shine. I asked my 6-y-o what colour it was and she said it was grey and brown with both gold and silver, but try getting that into the picture...















Waiting for the Mystic Light shawl KAL, starting 26 mars, I had to get some lace under my fingers right away. This is another super yarn that has been waiting around for the perfect pattern, Östergötlands Pälsull in red. I used the blue skein last year, but I never wear blue and saved this one for myself. Last night I finally settled on a pattern: North Roë shawl . It is in French, with most of it translated into English, but I find the French easier to read even though I have never used a French pattern before. It has fewer abbreviations and is rather logical. The pattern is very lacy and will make the yarn last well. My biggest problem now is that all three knittings by my chair are on 3.5mm needles and I would like to use my 80cm circular from Garnstudio for all of them. (The third one is the Rainbow Blanket.) Time to get some more. Realized that 90% of my knitting is on 2.5-3.5mm needles so an investment might be necessary.

2 comments:

Marias stickning och läsning said...

Really wonderful both the top and the beginning of the shawl. To knit in french is impressing! For me knitting (and writing) in english is quite enough. The book of Solveig Hisdal is indeed wonderful. I'm gazing in it now and then. We missed you yesterdat. See you tomorrow at Delicerano?

Mrs Petersson said...

Well, I made a living teaching French for 3.5 years, it's about time I did something useful with it, like knitting.