Sunday, January 20, 2008

Mittens and books

Last weekend Mr P took the daughter skiing, and she came back with cold fingers and agreed that gloves are not as good as real woolen mittens. Her brother had taken over the ones she had last year, but recently Barbro published this pattern and they are really as practical as can be. These are made in Visjö, the same colour as the Wasp hat I made for her last winter. I am planning to make another pair for the boy, but he has requested a cat.















This weekend I have knitted a lot, but ripped it all. I am testing entrelac techniques, but haven't found the ultimate one yet. Planning to make a small blanket in Kauni EQ (rainbow), but there is no hurry.

I also recieved some books this week. Best of Knitter's Shawls and scarves was even better than expected. It is a 2007 reprint of a collection of designs from the magazine between 1985 and 1998. Lots of techniques and traditions, but also some new ideas. There was no design that I had to make, but several that I might. Rowan's Little knits is totally diffrent. It is a story book that I can read to my children but with patterns for all the sweaters in the illustrations. Lovely book and a nice idea, but not quite my style to make a Kid mohair lace coat for a child of 3-10. The boy's designs are more realistic and again I might knit something from this book when my kids stop sitting in the sandbox.















We moved the baby bed out of our bedroom during the holiday and replaced it with our other darlings, hobby books. Mr P collects books about the history of warfare and weapons, while I focus on crafts and especially knitting. The two center rows to the right contain some of my best knitting books. Today there were 77 titles, 31 of them were listed on Ravelry and can be seen on my page there. The rest are books in Swedish, Norwegian, Icelandic and a few other languages, mostly about traditional knitting in these areas. Books with other techniques, like crochet, and those with spiral backs etc. are in my study. It's been really nice to be able to pick a book at night to look at when I'm too tired to read. On the bottom shelf I keep my ongoing subscriptions; Interweave, Knitter's, Vogue and Hemslöjden.

No comments: