Saturday, January 12, 2008

News from the holidays

Every time I go to see my in-laws I decide not to bring a knitting, then I have to go and buy something to keep my hands busy. This time I got some Garnstudio Fabel in dark red and some 2.5 dpns. Then I made a drawing of my hand and cast on for a pair of gloves, and now all the ends have been sewn in.














They are very easy to make because they are made in double knitting. I made them with the right side out, but according to Annemor Sundbö's book where I found the idea they are even easier to make inside out. For instructions on double knitting see my Patterns and techniques section.
This is how they were made:
1. Three rounds of garter knit on two dpns.
2. Join in the round and knit a wavy pattern, decreases only on last pattern row.
3. Lay the piece double and start double knitting on two dpns across the palm.
4. Knit in a separate thread over 1/3 of stitches for thumb, then go back and knit the stitches with the regular yarn and continue to the fingers.
5. Use 1/4 of stitches for the little finger. Double knit to the right length and then knit two stitches together at each turn until 4 stitches remain. Pull yarn through.
6. For the other fingers use 1/4 of the stitches for each finger but also pick up a couple of stitches on the side of the last finger knitted.
7. Pull out the thread at the thumb, pick up the stitches and one extra at each side. Knit as fingers.

There have also been a few additions to my stash lately. These are two favourites:














Garnstudio Silke Alpaca, 5 white and 7 red balls. Mr P gave me these and he chose them carefully and all by himself. I think it would be cheating to get more, so I'm planning a vest or a cardigan with short sleeves. There are a few good ideas in the summer collection at Garnstudio, but all the patterns aren't out yet so I'll wait a bit to make a decision.

Then I heard that Garnkorgen had recieved a big box of odd coluors from Cherry Tree Hill and went for a look. There were two skeins of each colour and these got to go home with me. They are two versions of "water" and they will either be used for baby gifts for a couple of new cousins we are expecting this spring, or they will become socks in Sockklubben.














Sockklubben at Stickamera started this January and will present a new pattern every month. The first one is Monkey from Knitty. I saw that Eva i Halmstad hade made hers on Magic Loop, and decided to practise that a bit more. The pattern is easy and after about an inch I stopped being nervous. Now they are almost done! The yarn is Opal Petticoat and a bit to striped for the pattern, but I have to use what I aldready have sometimes.

5 comments:

Natalie Rush said...

The gloves look great!! I always bring knitting when we go over to my fiancee's father's house. He know asks what I'm working on as soon as dinner is over. :)

I'm working on a pair of Monkey's on magic loop as well. Your are looking great!! I don't think they are too striped.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Unknown said...

Really pretty gloves. I stick to mittens...easier. :) but yours are impressive!

Eva i Halmstad said...

Jag skriver på svenska, för de är jag bäst på.
Roligt att du gillar att sticka med ML de gör ju de så mycket lättare att bli färdig med ett par, och sockarna blir ju lika stora , inte dumt.
Vilka fina vantar du gjort.
Gillar dina sockgarner från Garnkorgen, hon har mycket fint.
Ha de gott på dej, Eva.

Knitted Gems said...

The gloves came out great! I bet they are warm too with your double knitting trick.
I'm more amazed by Mr. P's bravado and kindness in picking out yarn for you to use. My husband wouldn't even try. I don't buy him video games and he doesn't buy me yarn. It's a good system.

Mrs Petersson said...

The gloves aren't double, both layers are knitted at the same time but the result is a tube. Mr P´s instruction was go to a store where they know me, but he knows me quite well too. Our deal is that when he buys games and things I have to spend a bit on my hobby too so we're equal:)