Thursday, October 25, 2007

Double knitting

Last night a dozen experienced knitters tried out double knitting, and some said it was like learning to knit again. However, they soon got the hang of it. It looks more advanced than it is, as it often is with knitting. I first came across this technique in 2002 and I have been on the lookout for more information about it since then, but I haven't found much. One of the ladies last night said she had done something similar in school 50 years ago, but that was about it.

My first attempt was this pocket on my collection of samples of patterns by Britt-Marie Christoffersson.














The next attempt came when I wanted to make a set to go with my second Moebius scarf. I didn't have the right needles to knit them in the round, and I avoid sewing whenever I can. Instead I made them in double knitting on two needles, but no one can tell.














A more intriguing way to use the method is to knit a reversible fabric in two colours. The colour not used on the front side will appear on the back. More examples of this can be found in the Patterns and techniques section to the right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I;ve been double knitting since the '90's. Started with pot holders. designed my own version for use with microwave ovens where only the plate gets hot. Made a reverible sweater with a Fair Isle pattern on one side and a solid color on the other. Now I;m working on knitting socks so when I finish one the other is also completed inside the tube. Always hated having to knit the second sock. And like you, hate seams. There are many resources to turn to. I agree it can be tricky knitting but the rewards are worth it.

Just another knitting knut.