Monday, October 1, 2007

Icelandic lambs wool



















Last weekend this project fell into my lap. An old friend of the family had promised to knit a kit for a woman who bought a sweater to match her horses, but couldn't knit it. The intended knitter couldn't knit it either, because of the foreign language pattern and recent illness. So who do you call? An Icelandic woman known to be a good knitter, my mother. She doesn't knit much these days, so she passed it on to me.

As you can see it starts out with a basic Scandinavian geometrical pattern. Further up there will be some horses and larger squares. It knits quick and easy, and it is interesting to knit Icelandic lambs wool. I have never come across a yarn like this before. It is a lot like Lópi light, but it has two strands. If I didn't know it was lambs wool I would never have guessed it, because it is almost as coarse as regular Icelandic wool, but it has a little more shine. It comes from a small company called Frú Lára.

2 comments:

Sigga Sif said...

That sweater looks like a lot of work! You're must be a very nice person to knit it for someone else :-)

Interesting about the lambswool, I'd never heard of Frú Lára before, so I googled and it seems that it's a company in a small town in the east of Iceland. Now I just got an excuse to visit there again!

Mrs Petersson said...

Let me know what you find in Seydisfjördur. I only found a listing of the company name, but nothing more about them. I wouldn't mind getting hold of some more yarn.